Telias forum: Use of Wireless Accesspoint or Repeater to exteend WLAN based on Thomson TG789 as Router connected to Telia's Fiber WAN - Telias forum

Hoppa till innehåll

Use of Wireless Accesspoint or Repeater to exteend WLAN based on Thomson TG789 as Router connected to Telia's Fiber WAN

Inlägg #1
Hi,

I have just installed Thomson TG789vn and have a wireless LAN at home. It works fine both for Internet and IP telephony.
Unfortunately one of my TVs support only Ethernet cable connection and I want to stream video to it from my PC over the TG789vn Home LAN.
As I do not want to draw an ethernet cable from the TG789 router to the TV, I hope to be able to buy a simple wireless router/WiFi switch and connect that one with a cable to my old TV.

Has anyone configured the Telia TG789 to exteend the network over WiFi to another box that is connected to a TV or any PC using ethernet cable the last meter?

I have seen on the web how e.g. NetGear DG834G can be used as wireless repeater, configuring the master router as Bridging and Repeating/WCA, see this link http://www.unix.ms/netgear/index2.html for a network drawing.

How to do that with the Telia configuration?

I.e. I would like to use the Telia TG789 as the Master Router, connected to the fiber WAN, nad to my PC over WiFi and to an Repeater (1 or 2) connected with a cable to my TV.

Should be a fairly normal use case...

BR/LEE
Det här inlägget har ändrats av LEEk 03 april 2012 - 11:56
LEEk  Ikon Inlägg: 15
Inlägg #2
LEEk sa: Hi,

I have just installed Thomson TH789 and have a wireless LAN at home. It works fine both for Internet and IP telephony.
Unfortunately one of my TVs support only Ethernet cable connection and I want to stream video to it from my PC over the Home LAN.
As I do not want to draw an ethernet cable from the TG789 router to the TV, I hope to be able to buy a simple router/WiFi switch and connect that one with a cable to my old TV.

Has anyone configured the Telia TG789 to talk over WiFi to another box that is connected to a TV or any PC using ethernet cable the last meter?

I have seen on the web how e.g. NetGear DG834G can be used as wireless repeater, configuring the master router as Bridging and Repeating/WCA.

How to do that with the Telia configuration?

Should be a fairly normal use case...

BR/LEE

I'd recommend using a bridge, and not a repeater since the latter would have a negative impact on Your wireless performance.

A few products You might want to look at are the D-link DAP-116, DAP-1360 and DAP-1522, who can be used either as access points or bridges.

A
Anaesthisia  Ikon Inlägg: 7 455
Inlägg #3
Hi,

Ok bridge, but have You tried to build something like this config: http://www.unix.ms/netgear/index2.html ?

How to make the Thomson TG789 to understand that it should talk with the proposed D-link box?
E.g. the IP addresses and the MAC addresses of the two "routers" have to be entered in each of the two and the mode has to be set.
How to do that in the Telia box?

Thanks in Advance
LE
Inlägg #4

Ok bridge, but have You tried to build something like this config: http://www.unix.ms/netgear/index2.html ?

How to make the Thomson TG789 to understand that it should talk with the proposed D-link box?
E.g. the IP addresses and the MAC addresses of the two "routers" have to be entered in each of the two and the mode has to be set.
How to do that in the Telia box?

Actually, I think You only configure the D-link bridge to access Thomson as a client.

If Telia hadn't disabled WPS, WiFi Protected Setup, that could also have been used.

I strongly recommend against using a WiFi range extender - Thomson's wireless performance is questionable as it is and using a range extender would make it even worse.

A
Inlägg #5
LEEk sa: Ok bridge, but have You tried to build something like this config: http://www.unix.ms/netgear/index2.html ?

Your example describes the use of a wireless repeater to extend the range of your wireless network. What you need is a "wireless to cable bridge" to connect your TV to your wireless network.

Then connect it to Thomson in the same way as a computer with WiFi, which Anaesthisia commented.
Christer S  Ikon Inlägg: 2 873
Inlägg #6
Hi,
Thanks again.
I did find this link; ftp://ftp.dlink.eu/d...ts/dap-1360.pdf showing several topologies.
I think You suggest Wireless Client Mode. Correct?
This UG http://global.dlink....anual_v1.00.pdf describes it also very nice.

My understanding is that the D-link box acts as an old classical Ethernet hub...

I.e. there is still only one Router, one DHCP Server, only one IP subnet e.g. 192.168.0.x, only one WiFI network (SSID and used radio frequency e.g. 2.4 Gz and channel 6) with only one WPA2 code.

Correct?

But to be real efficient, then separate radio frequencies should be used. Correct? Is that possible to achieve?

BR/LE
Inlägg #7
Thanks again.
I did find this link; ftp://ftp.dlink.eu/d...ts/dap-1360.pdf showing several topologies.
I think You suggest Wireless Client Mode. Correct?
This UG http://global.dlink....anual_v1.00.pdf describes it also very nice.

My understanding is that the D-link box acts as an old classical Ethernet hub...

I.e. there is still only one Router, one DHCP Server, only one IP subnet e.g. 192.168.0.x, only one WiFI network (SSID and used radio frequency e.g. 2.4 Gz and channel 6) with only one WPA2 code.

Correct?

But to be real efficient, then separate radio frequencies should be used. Correct? Is that possible to achieve?

If You're able to use a cable to connect wireless access points to increase coverage, then by all means do that.
The D-link DAP-1522 can be used as an access point, and can work either at 2,4 or 5 GHz.

The wireless performance of the Thomson TG789vn itself is severely crippled by lack of dual band and channel bonding, among other things.

A
Inlägg #8
Thanks again.

"I think You suggest Wireless Client Mode. Correct?"
Correct!

"My understanding is that the D-link box acts as an old classical Ethernet hub..."
I'm not sure what you mean, the D-Link box has only one LAN port. The D-Link box acts as a "wireless to cable bridge", but you can connect a switch and then connect multiple devices. See page 12 of the user manual.

"I.e. there is still only one Router, one DHCP Server, only one IP subnet e.g. 192.168.0.x, only one WiFI network (SSID and used radio frequency e.g. 2.4 Gz and channel 6) with only one WPA2 code."
That's right. But you can add one or more access points (Access Point Mode), to increase the coverage or the capacity. The latter requires the use of different channels or different bands. And with different SSID, you can select which access point devices are connected to. I hope this was correct, someone may correct me.

How To Add an Access Point to a Wireless Router - Steps 3-6
Christer S  Ikon Inlägg: 2 873
Sida 1 av 1